The Department of Nephrology, Hypertension and the Dialysis Center at Burjeel Hospital Abu Dhabi comprises of world-class experienced nephrologists and other healthcare professionals. Our mission is to diagnose and prevent kidney disease as well as Hypertension. Our expert team anticipates complications and treats renal problems before they become life threatening. Combined with Burjeel's signature 'art of healing' we make sure that our guests stay in the best of their health.
We are well equipped to diagnose, treat and manage a wide range of conditions in guests with acute and chronic kidney problems and hypertension due to
- Diabetes mellitus
- Primary and Secondary Hypertension
- Auto-immune Diseases and Vasculitis
- Kidney stones (Medically treated)
- Inherited kidney diseases
- Drug induced Renal Complications
State-Of-The-Art Technology and Interdisciplinary Team
The department is fully equipped with the latest medical technologies and improvements in diagnostics and patient care which have enabled us to treat different types of renal diseases and hypertension more successfully.
Our nephrologists’ areas of expertise include kidney diseases, hypertension, renal replacement therapy, Pre- and post-kidney transplantation assessment and follow-up and renal together with cardiovascular prevention strategies among many others.
At Burjeel Hospital, we offer over services which cover a wide range of requirements of our guests. Our services provide support for both outpatients as well as inpatients. We also accept referrals in all domains of Renal Diseases, Hypertension and/or Critically ill patients with renal issues.
Our outpatient services include treatment and care of a number of nephrology related issues. We look into the needs of a variety of patients with different medical kidney problems. Our nephrologists are experienced and utilize state-of-the-art equipment and techniques in their everyday clinical care.
- Percutaneous kidney biopsy is performed under ultrasound or CT guidance in order to be able to diagnose various kidney diseases.
- We also prepare patients for kidney transplantation and kidney donors, as well, if available from patients’ families. After kidney transplantation, patients are followed up and regularly monitored as outpatients.
Burjeel hospital provides a full range of services to help guests with end stage renal disease. Our multidisciplinary expert team of doctors, nurses, dieticians and other clinical staff ensure that the care and treatment of our guests is of the highest order.
- In Hospital Dialysis Unit - The Burjeel Dialysis Center is equipped with modern HD machines and two advanced Continuous renal replacement therapy (CRRT) machines. The different dialysis services offered in the department include:
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Burjeel Hospital offers scheduled hemodialysis sessions which cover 3 shifts and guests are usually having 3 times per week, 4 hours per session, from Saturday till Thursday.
- The hemodialysis services are ordered and supervised by attending Nephrologists; who are available to provide extensive care all through the dialysis sessions. The dialysis is performed by expert dialysis nurses.
- We provide hemodialysis services to UAE visitors as well.
- We also provide emergency hemodialysis 24/24 all week days.
In - patient services
The Department of Nephrology provides a wide range of services which are specialized to provide timely and expert care to patients who are affected by all types of renal problems.
The in-patient services are complemented by an extensive ICU Nephrology coverage. In the ICU, Nephrologist is often consulted for all types of renal problems, already existing or arising in admitted patients there, and we can provide renal replacement therapy (RRT) in its different types according to the condition of every patient.
Expertise of our nephrology staff is a critical component in the achievement of outstanding outcomes in critically ill patients with cardiovascular diseases, organ transplantation, organ failure and other critical medical problems. Our interdisciplinary team nurses, physicians, nephrologists, dieticians and other medical staff work together to give guests the best possible outcomes
Blood Pressure Disorders and Hypertension Management
At the nephrology clinic, our Nephrologists work together with patients to manage their chronic blood pressure conditions. Our nephrologists have a rich history of innovation and research in hypertension and they provide expertise in hypertension management, with a dedicated well setup laboratory service.
Besides the standardized use of automated blood pressure devices in our outpatient clinics, we have 24-hour ambulatory blood pressure measurements to help with diagnosis of white coat hypertension, masked hypertension, labile hypertension, and assessment of nocturnal dipping and efficacy of therapy.
We also use non-invasive hemodynamic testing to help guide treatment decisions and tailor therapy by assessing neuro-humoral profiles and hemodynamic parameters in our Hypertension/Nephrology Clinic.
Our clinicians are having well expertise in the field of hypertension management, specifically, the secondary one, related to the diagnosis and management of primary hyperaldosteronism, pheochromocytoma, and renal artery stenosis.
The Center follows a collaborative approach to diagnosis, monitoring and care of blood pressure patients and blood pressure disorders. We work closely with Internists, Cardiologists, Endocrinologists, and Vascular Medicine specialists to develop a diagnostic and management plan that is tailored to the individual patient. An effective treatment program requires partnership between the patient and care providers.
Our practice is to support patients with information regarding blood pressure monitoring guidelines, lifestyle changes and nutrition.
Key blood pressure disorders and hypertension related issues that we handle are
- Resistant Hypertension
- Secondary Hypertension
- Primary Hyperaldosteronism
- Renal Artery Stenosis